// Warning issued to keep head lice treatments away from naked flames

An article on Boots WebMD has stated that a warning has been issued to keep head lice treatments away from naked flames because of concerns they could ignite and set fire to hair due to the chemicals used in the products.

According to the article, “The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), which polices the safety of medical products, has issued a drug safety alert advising pharmacists to tell people about the risk of fires when they discuss options to treat head lice.”

When the first reported fire involving Hedrin 4% cutaneous solution was known, Fire hazard warnings were added to the packs and the patient information leaflet telling people to “Keep hair away from sources of ignition, especially naked flames and burning cigarettes, whilst being treated with Hedrin. Treated hair can readily burn if ignited.”

“According to the MHRA, there have been 8 cases of serious burns associated with Hedrin 4% cutaneous solution since the product was licensed in 2005. Four cases were associated with a cigarette lighter or lighting of a cigarette, one with a lit cigarette, one with a candle, and 2 with adjusting a gas fire.”

There have been 10 total reported cases of serious burns from the use of head lice removal lotions since 2007.

Our treatments use no chemicals so there’s no danger to your child. For help with head lice, contact your nearest Hairforce branch.

You can read the full article here.

This entry was posted in Chemically clearing lice, Head Lice news. Bookmark the permalink.