// Are Head Lice Treatments Flammable?

Several sources have discussed how some products for the eradication of head lice infestations are combustible/flammable when on the hair and can ignite and cause serious harm in the presence of an open flame or other source of ignition such as when lighting cigarettes.
According to Gov.uk “Eight cases of serious burns associated with Hedrin 4% cutaneous solution have been reported to the MHRA since the product was licensed in 2005. Following the first reported case in 2007, warnings about risk of fires were added to the pack and patient information leaflet for Hedrin 4% cutaneous solution. Four cases were associated with a cigarette lighter or lighting of a cigarette, one with a lit cigarette, one with a candle, and 2 with adjusting a gas fire.
There have been 2 further serious burns cases associated with other products. In 2006 a woman suffered serious burns when smoking during treatment. In 2017 another incident occurred when a child undergoing treatment came into contact with a naked flame, resulting in very serious burns.
Pharmacists should encourage parents, caregivers, and people with head lice to read the instructions carefully for all head lice eradication products.

POPULAR £12 HEAD LICE LOTION CAN CATCH FIRE
Due to some cases of children suffering burns while being treated with chemical lice treatments, including Hedrin, experts are warning parents to not smoke near children’s heads or let them near an open flame.
The chemicals in the lice treatment are extremely flammable and a dozen adults and children have suffered burns in the past decade from exposing their doused head to flames.
While many of the accidents happened due to being near cigarettes, one woman was left with serious burns after adjusting a gas fire with the treatment on her hair.
Avoid the risk and clear your head lice by hand. We sell comb to clear kits in our shop, or if you don’t want to do it yourself you can reach out and contact your nearest Hairforce Branch.

DON’T USE HEAD LICE TREATMENTS WHILE NEAR A NAKED FLAME
Due to the high volume of flammable chemicals used in products to treat head lice, people have suffered burns from being near cigarettes or gas fires. In most of the cases an unknowing parent has lit a cigarette near their child causing the hair to go up in flames.
In 2007 manufacturers were told to publish warnings on packages, however the accidents have still been happening.
We always recommend clearing by hand, as this is the safest and most effective way to rid head lice out of your life. This means no nasty chemicals on you or your children’s heads. If you are struggling to get all the lice and nits yourself, you can contact your nearest Hairforce branch for help.

This entry was posted in Chemically clearing lice, Head Lice news, Nits and lice. Bookmark the permalink.